Summer is just around the corner. We had a day of 80 degree weather and I just couldn’t resist firing up the grill. I recently grabbed a couple of packages of the new Hillshire Farm® American Craft™ Sausage and decided to see what I could do with them.
I picked up both the Jalapeño & Cheddar Smoked Sausage and the Garlic & Onion Polish Sausage. The Jalapeño Cheddar was calling my name so they turned into a dinner that was a huge hit at my house.
I don’t buy many pre-package buns unless I am in a pinch for time. I decided that a batch of Jalapeño Buns would be a perfect compliment to the sausage. I also made a simple slaw that really kicked the Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage & Slaw Dogs to a level of delicious that you just have to try.
You can make your buns and slaw ahead of time so you can have dinner in a flash.
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2½ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (warmed to 100º F)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Jalapeño, sliced
- Mix sugar, salt, onion powder and yeast in a medium bowl.
- Slowly add the milk and whisk until the yeast has dissolved (10 - 15 seconds).
- Add one egg, butter and half of the flour to the mixture.
- Mix until there are no lumps.
- Add in the remaining flour a half of a cup at a time until the dough has formed and ready to knead. Note - you may not use the full 3½ cups.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 3 minutes.
- Place the dough into a bowl that has been lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise for 1½ hours (until doubled).
- Punch down the dough, reshape and then re-cover with plastic wrap.
- Set in a warm spot for an hour to double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces and shape into long buns.
- Beat the last egg with 2 tablespoons of water and lightly brush the top of the dough with the egg wash.
- Place the sliced jalapeños on top of the dough.
- Allow to rise for 15 minutes then bake on a 425ºF on a parchment lined baking sheet for 12 - 15 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- To make the slaw: Combine 2 cups of thinly sliced cabbage, 1 cup thinly sliced red onion, ¼ cup chopped cilantro, the juice of one lime, 2 tablespoons canola oil, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Serve the grilled smoked sausage on a jalapeño bun with a hearty helping of slaw!