I don’t want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen on the weekend. I have to go with easy recipes that I can whip up quickly. One of my favorite things is a tostada. I am a huge fan of mexican cuisine. The tostada is kinda like an open faced sandwich. You start with a crispy tostada shell then add a bunch of yummy topping or “fixings” as we like to call them.
I usually vary the toppings but this Grilled Lime Shrimp Tostada is my go to recipe when I need a meal on the table in a flash. A quick marinade and then a few minutes on the grill and you are ready to build your tostada. If you have a few extra minutes, I highly recommend whipping up some of my fresh guacamole. It is phenomenal with the shrimp!
I was in a hurry to get to the street market this weekend so I just went with avocado chunks – it was still fantastic!
- Skewers (if wooden soak in water for 20 minutes)
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if desired)
- ¼ cup cilantro
- refried beans
- lettuce, shredded
- tomatoes, chopped
- queso fresco
- guacamole or any other favorite topping such as black olives, onions, salsa, etc...
- Place olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, garlic and cilantro into a bowl and blend with a stick blender until emulsified. (You can also use a regular blender)
- Pour over shrimp and refrigerate for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Skewer shrimp and grill on high for 2 -3 minutes.
- Brush with extra marinade then flip and grill an additional 2 - 3 minutes until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Remove from grill.
- Assemble your tostada by spreading with beans, lettuce, tomato, cilantro and topped with the grilled shrimp. Squeeze extra lime juice on top before serving.