I had a delicious stuffed zucchini at a restaurant in Atlanta many years ago. Since then, I have been stuffing my zucchini with all sorts of yummy things. Sometimes I do a sausage stuffing or a pizza filling or even a walnut and cranberry stuffing. Honestly, that little squash is the perfect vessel for so many wonderful stuffings.
The one I am sharing today is a simple but oh so tasty stuffing. It takes almost no time to throw together and is a great side dish for almost any protein. This week I served it with my Easy Baked Tilapia and there were no leftovers or crumbs left on any of the plates at dinner. A clean plate is my way of knowing when a recipe is a keeper at my house. This one is definitely a keeper.
When you want need a great side dish that’s easy and super tasty, give this one a try. Be sure to come back and let me know what you think!
- 1 pound zucchini
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Cut each zucchini lengthwise then scoop out the center pulp (reserve the pulp as will be used in the filling).
- In a small skillet, melt the butter then add the onion and zucchini pulp.
- Cook the veggies for about 3 - 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the feta and breadcrumbs.
- Taste the stuffing and season with the salt and pepper as desired.
- Add the beaten egg to the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture in the zucchini cavities and sprinkle with the parmesan.
- Place in a casserole dish and bake for 35 - 45 minutes until the zucchini is tender and cheese is lightly browned.