Why does quiche get such a bad rap? Two of my three guys love quiche just as much as I do. My little one doesn’t like any kind of egg no matter what I do to it. By “doesn’t like”…I mean he will gag (or worse) if he is forced to try an egg dish. I have learned to pick my battles and since I also have foods that I despise, he gets a pass on this one!
So since the majority of my family likes quiche, I try to make it every now and again. It’s one of those meals that you can do with whatever spare ingredients you have on hand. It’s a perfect way to use up any leftovers so that no food goes to waste. All you need is a crust, some eggs, milk and whatever fillings that you like.
I found myself staring at a half package of bacon so it turned into a delicious dinner – Bacon, Spinach & Mushroom Quiche.
Depending on my mood and/or how much time I have will be the deciding factor on whether I make a homemade crust or just use a pre-made crust. This week I was short on time so I went with a store bought crust.
- pie crust (pre-made or homemade)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon honey dijon mustard
- 6 oz bacon (about 6 slices)
- 1 medium onion, choppped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz spinach
- 1 cup shredded cheese (swiss, gouda, muenster, etc)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375º F
- Press the crust into a deep dish pie plate, pressing it down and up the sides of the pie dish. Cut any excess edge and flute the edges (if desired)
- Line the crust with parchment paper and weight with pastry weights or dried beans.
- Bake the crust in a 375º oven for about 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove the paper and weights then set aside to cool.
- Cook the bacon in a pan until brown and crispy.
- Remove to a paper lined plate to drain, crumble when cool.
- Pour off all but a teaspoon of the bacon fat.
- Cook the chopped onion and mushrooms in the bacon fat for about 5 minutes until golden.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted (about 1 - 2 minutes)
- Sprinkle half the cheese onto the pre-baked pie crust and top with the crumbled bacon and cooked vegetables.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Whisk together the milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mustard until combined.
- Whisk the eggs into the milk mixture.
- Pour the mixture over the cheese and veggies.
- Bake in a 375º F oven for 40 - 45 minutes until center is just set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10.